- On February 9, 2014
- 3PL, 4PL, logistics, partner
The logistics partner selection is easy, right? Yes, if you know what you want from this partner. How can we identify our needs and the benefits from outsourcing the logistics services? Here are some of the steps:
- We may describe the current process. And what if our process is wrong? The result would be confusion, disagreements, unmet expectations, contract termination.
- We may describe what we want to achieve. It’s good to write it but do we know how to make it happen if there are no written procedures and responsibilities.
- We may ask some potential logistics partners who offer us different solutions and we choose from one of them. Yes, this might work, but who will control whether the chosen logistics provider follows the offer if the process is missing in our company?
- We ask an expert to propose a solution, tailor-made for us, by evaluating our needs, creating procedures, negotiating on our behalf and creating mechanisms for control of the logistics partner
Nowadays, when logistics sector is saturated with suppliers and services, this is not very good for the selecting party if the only idea is to have a change. This change should be identified in details, as well as the short and long term results.